Mr Jeoff Land - Year 3 Teacher
Ms Michelle Fitzgerald - Higher Level Teaching Assistant
Welcome to the Year 3 web page.
This is the place to find out what is going on in Year 3, including:
- An overview for Literacy Maths and Topic
- Newsletters (termly)
- Home learning tasks (weekly) and projects (termly)
- Spellings (weekly)
- The Class Charter
We hope you find the information here useful.
If you have any questions about what we’re doing on Year 3, please come and chat to us.
In Literacy this term we will be reading the Clive King classic, Stig of the Dump (a book linked to our history topic) and using it as a stimulus for writing (fiction and non-fiction) and drama activities.
First published in 1963, Stig of the Dump has never been out of print and remains a much-loved tale from my own childhood.
In Maths we will be looking at Place Value and introducing HUNDREDS to our learning.
We will be exploring and making sure we understand:
- Representing numbers to 1000
- Number lines to 1000
- Partitioning (breaking numbers up in different ways)
- Finding 1, 10, 100 more or less
- Comparing and ordering numbers (3-digits)
- Counting in 50s
- Written methods for addition and subtraction
Over the year we will be recapping on the 2x, 5x, 10x tables from Year 2 and learning the 3x, 4x and 8x tables. Any and all times-table (and their corresponding division facts) practice at home is hugely beneficial.
Our main focus for this term is the Stone Age to Iron Age and we will be considering the question: What was life like in the Stone Age?
We will be exploring: cave paintings, homes, tools and weapons, food, other aspects of daily life and other key events.
To begin the year we will be looking at the different parts of the brain and the job they have in our daily lives. From the pre-frontal cortex making decisions to the hippocampus storing our memories – we will explore the impact the brain has on our learning.
Rocks and Soil:
We will investigate and sort different types of rocks before exploring fossils and how soil is made.
- Term 1 Week 2 - Spellings
- Term 1 Home Learning Projects
- Term 1 Week 2 - Home Learning
- Term 1 Week 3 - Spellings
- Term 1 Week 3 - Home Learrning
- Term 1 Week 4 - Spellings
- Term 1 Week 4 - Home Learning
- Term 1 Week 5 - Spellings
- Term 1 Week 5 - Home Learning
- Term 1 Week 6 - Spellings
- Term 1 Week 7 - Spellings
- Term 1 Week 7 - Home Learning